Basilica of St. John the Baptist
With its twin 43-metre-high towers and location on the high hill on the northern side of the harbour, the Basilica has long been the dominant feature of the St. John’s skyline. Begun in 1841 and completed in 1850, the Military Road structure was consecrated as a cathedral in 1855. At that time, it was the largest church in North America. Built in the shape of a Latin cross, it was declared a minor Basilica on its centenary in 1955. It is now a National Historic Site. Guided summer tours available.